#28 Candy Cane Twists by BHG Christmas Cookies '03 May freeze up to 1 month
1 c butter, softened
1 c sifted powdered sugar
1/2 t vanilla
2 1/2 c flour
1/4 c finely chopped peppermints
red food coloring
gran or colored sugar
1. In large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on med-high speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar; beat until combined.
2. Beat in eggg, vanilla, and dash of salt. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half.
3. Knead crushed peppermint candies into one half of the dough. If desired, stir red food coloring into peppermint dough to tint slightly. Leave remaining dough plain, cover, and chill doughs about 30 minutes until easy to handle.
4. Preheat oven to 375. Work with half of each dough at a time, keeping remaining dough chilled. For each cookie, on a lightly floured surface shape a 1" ball of plain dough into a 4-5" rope. Repeat with 1" ball of peppermint dough. Place ropes side by side & twist together. Pinch ends to seal. Form into a candy cane.
5. Place canes 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sugar.
6. Bake in preheated oven 8-10 minutes or until edges are set. Immediately transfer to wire rack to cool. Store in layers, separated by wax paper, in airtight container at room temp or freeze up to 1 month.
1 week ago