Faith, Family, Friends, Fellowship, Food, and Fun



Monday, September 1, 2008

Facebook!

I NEVER thought I would want a Facebook or Myspace account, I am too old ya know. That's for the youngsters. But one day last year I found out my assistant principal knew an old friend of mine from the Fort Worth area and they met back up on Facebook so I decided to see the "friend"s listing and the rest is history. It started so slowly but now my use of Facebook is starting to take on a life of it's own. I have been looking up everybody I have ever known in my entire life. Well, maybe not that many people but the other day I got the idea to look up some of my old students. I have been finding most of them too. I found my precious Chelsea from my first year of teaching. She was a doll. I am serious, her face always lit up with a smile and she had precious dimples that went along with her blond hair, blue eyes, and freckles. She was the model student. So I am now back in touch with Chelsea. Then I had to look at her list of friends to see if any of my other students were on her list and one was.

Last night when I was at home I thought of a few more names. I looked up a few more teacher friends and looked at their friends to see if I was missing anyone. About 5 friends' lists into my search, I realized that a girl I work with now... knows someone I worked with 6 years ago in Arlington. This is like a real life six degrees of separation thing. I mean...do your friends know friends you had a long time ago? Is this like that Fabrege Organic commercial when we were kids...they'll tell two friends and so on?

As I was cleaning out my files a minute ago I found some of my students' papers with their first and last names (can't remember all 150 kids' last names these days) and I started plugging them into Facebook and there they are!

This is so amazing!

1 comment:

Texas Aggie in Florida said...

I know! I used to think it was RETARDED but now I'm kinda hooked. I've been adding my former students from my first year of teaching. They were 7th graders when I had them and now they've graduated from college, some are married and divorced, and most are holding a beer in their hands on their profile picture, but hey...it's all about connecting! It's fun!

One of my former students, I just noticed, has over 800 facebook friends! I feel like such a loser. I have about 85!