Faith, Family, Friends, Fellowship, Food, and Fun



Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I miss you! and a lesson in sausage

I have been so busy lately that I haven't had time to visit any blogs or do any blogging myself. Last week I had to cancel classes 4 days in a row to give an online test to English Language Learners. It was a reading test...think about that. English Language Learners....some of these poor kids just arrived in the United States 2 weeks ago but those wonderful lawmakers down there in Austin (boo-hiss) think that we need to monitor the ELL's progress in reading. I can see their point but don't you think they need to give these poor kiddos at least a semester before asking them to read about 10 passages and answer 65 questions?

This passed weekend my in-laws came to visit and blessed us with their truck. It was a nice trade-off, they took our truck to my brother-in-law because he now has 2 teenagers who are at the driving age. So anyway, I tried a few new recipes that I can't wait to share with you. Friday night we had grilled Mesquite Lime Chicken, red potatoes, corn on the cob, and mixed veggies. For dessert I made Paula Deen's Strawberry Shortcake- it was heavenly! Saturday morning I made an Overnight French Toast with sausage. Which reminds me...why do men act clueless in the kitchen? I had to nurse Abby so I asked Stephen to get the Breakfast Sausage links out of the freezer. First he came in with the box of Slovacek sausage that we bought to put on the grill, "How do you want me to cook this?" So as nicely as I could (his parents were there), I told him I wanted the breakfast sausage. You know, the kind we have all the time. So back he went to the garage and this time he came back with the Italian Sausage. I couldn't believe his brain had turned to mush when his parents arrived. When we bought that sausage at the store, he asked me what it was for and I told him I was going to make Denise's wonderful Pasta Bake.

Okay, maybe I was a little hard on him right? Saturday night the men went to the store. I needed caramels for a recipe. He told me the day before that we still had some leftover caramels but not the 11 oz I needed so he said he'd pick some up. He came home with the little container of apple caramel dip. WHY? Why do their brains turn to mush I ask you? I could understand if he didn't look in the pantry for caramels and show me the bag we had. I gripe but I really do appreciate all the help he gives me in the kitchen.

At home we've been showing the house like crazy and I am busy with the final preparations for Caleb's party this Saturday. I have to make sure we all have clean clothes before we pack TOMORROW. I made the icing for his cake last night. Tonight I have to bake the cakes and tomorrow night I will decorate as much as I can...I have to pack and clean the house. Since we will be out of town and it's Parents' Weekend, our realtor is going to have an Open House.

I am so ready to get into a new house. I want to organize all my scrapbook stuff so I can work on it this summer. I want to organize all the kids' toys and everything that is currently just thrown into the garage.

So I hope to be back to a normal (whatever that is) schedule next week. I just know I am missing lots of great recipes and lots of fun pictures and stories that my bloggity friends are posting.

1 comment:

AdventurerMom said...

my dad did the grocer-me shoppings last weekend.
He neglected to buy milk, cat food or fruit...
apparently all dads are silly.