Faith, Family, Friends, Fellowship, Food, and Fun



Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Spring Break 2013

We don't usually get the opportunity to go out of town during Spring Break. but this year we had 2 life-changing events to attend so we spent an entire 7 days catching up with some of my favorite people.

Sunday morning I spent 3 hours, yes 3 hours, packing. I never knew it took me so long, I have a list of things to pack for trips so I'd say I'm more organized than most when it comes to packing. We drove up to little bitty ol' Rendon, Texas, where Stephen was raised. We unloaded and took his mom to meet his brother and our sister-in-law for dinner.

Monday morning we said goodbye to a wonderful man, David Arnold.

He suddenly lost his battle with cancer on February 19. I say suddenly because one day he was up and moving around with energy and that night he went into a deep sleep and didn't "wake up". He slept for 31/2 days before going home to rejoice with the Lord.


 
I have never been to a military funeral. I've only seen them on TV. It was touching. After the Navy Sea Bee presented the flag to my mother-in-law, he remained on his knees and took off his personal Sea Bee pin to give that to her as well. He had tears in his eyes as he thanked my mother-in-law for his service.

Here's a rare picture of the entire Arnold gang. We spent the rest of the day at the house watching movies and playing outside.


Tuesday morning I took the kids to see Mandy, Shane, Aidan, and Owen. We finally got to see their beautiful new house. After one little love-spat between Abby and Owen, the kids got along really well. I regret not taking pictures.

Stephen spent that time with his mom and brother, cleaning out Dad's things. When we got back to the house. the kids ran amuk in the open and vacant motorhome garage while we enjoyed the amazingly beautiful weather.

Tuesday night I got some bestie time. I met Hyla at Five Guys. Why on earth did they wait until I moved away to put a Five Guys in my favorite shopping center? Again, no picture :(

Wednesday we stayed put and around lunchtime I changed the channel to FOX News to get an update on the conclave. The caption said that smoke was expected within seconds. I stood in great anticipation until it happened. I saw the white smoke. I immediately texted my Aunt Joanie, who was on a pilgrimage with her church, and said I hoped she was getting to see the smoke in person. She immediately called me. She said the group was in France, did we have a new pope? I told her yes and she got to share the news with her fellow pilgrims. I'm, not sure why, but I felt that was a huge honor.

I promised to text her the name and information as soon as it was revealed. What an exciting day, indeed.

That night we joined Dirk, Jennifer, Sean, and Alex for dinner and fun at their house.  I just love how my kids get along so well with others, no matter where we go.



Thursday morning we headed over to the Ross house, where we spent the next 4 days. That night some of my friends from our old Young Adult Ministry group came over for a mini-reunion.

Friday morning I got to join Rochelle at her Mom's Group at Good Shepherd in Colleyville. It was amazing to see that their group is pretty much like our group. I also got to see another YAM friend at the meeting.

Friday night we went to meet my Goddaughter, her sister, and their dad, at CiCi's in Grapevine. It has been wonderful to reconnect with them. As soon as someone teaches me how to get pics from my phone to the computer, I'll post pictures. The highlight of the night was when Spencer blessed us by coming into the dining area with no bottoms on. Gotta love potty training!

Saturday was relaxing. The kids got to go to their first wedding as my niece, Jessica, married her love of 7 years, Brad.

 
Caleb, Abby, and Spencer tore up the dance floor. They enjoyed the chocolate fountain and candy bar. It was a great way to end the week.

Sunday morning we attended mass with the Ross family and then headed home. It's always so hard to say goodbye to good friends. It's funny to me that I didn't know Rochelle that well when I lived in Fort Worth. We were in the same YAM group, but it seems like we were never grouped together. In the last 3 years we've gotten to be like best friends. She and Tommy open their home to our tribe and we always enjoy just sitting around the table and having good conversations. Her older kids are just as wonderful, always there to offer help and love the kids. It hurts me to be so far away from them.

And just like that, it was over. Back to reality. I'll just spend the next 2 months trying to plan another friend-filled trip to Fort Worth.

No comments: