Faith, Family, Friends, Fellowship, Food, and Fun

Monday, June 28, 2010

Vacation 2010

Who knew that 7 days would not be enough to see everyone we wanted to see last week when we went to Fort Worth?

We drove to Cowtown Monday, checked into our hotel, and went to visit my dad. After a late dinner, it was back to our room to try to put the kids down. It took hours, they were too excited.

Tuesday Mandy and the boys came out to swim with us at the hotel. It was another day without a nap. That night we met Arman and his kids for dinner at Central Market. We were pleasantly surprised to see our long lost friend, Todd there. Again, we got the kids in bed close to 10 and they did not go right to sleep.

Wednesday morning we ran errands to places we don't have in town like Party City. No naps. Then we went to visit with Stephen's family where Jeff, Lynda, and Corey met Spencer for the first time. Another late night...not good for Mommy and Daddy, but we did stop by the liquor store on the way back to the hotel. Mudslides=happy Mommy.

Thursday morning was spent packing and loading the van. Then we went to lunch with one of Stephen's friends at the restaurant right next to the hotel. That's where I lost it. Or should I say them? I realized I didn't have my wedding ring and Aggie ring on. Poor Stephen, I made him run to the hotel in the rain to start the search party. He and the manager even went through the laundry because I thought I put them on the dresser next to the clean towels. I knew there was a slight chance that they were in the bathroom bag. When he got back, I went to the van to check and there they were. I was just so tired when I took them off and I was in a zone so I didn't even think about what I was doing.

Our next stop was to Rochelle and Tommy's where Stephen spent about an hour unloading. That night we met some friends from the old Young Adult Group at Fuddrucker's where we waited out a great storm. The kids had a fabulous time. I enjoyed seeing some of my dearest friends.

Friday morning we headed to Joe T. Garcia's for my old neighborhood reunion. Amy, Lisa, Shannon, and I all met with our families. It was the first time we were all together since about 1980. We made it back to Ro's house in time for our first nap of the week. Kids napping=happy Mommy. And that night was my 20th reunion. Am I really that old? What a wonderful time I had with old friends. I was amazed how many people I knew from elementary school. And of course I got to see my BFF, Hyla.

Saturday morning we went to see Hyla's beautiful new house and we got to swim at her neighborhood pool. I could have stayed all day. I pictured Hyla and me poolside with cocktails, without a care in the world. Maybe one day.....
We had to leave earlier than I would have liked to so we could take Stephen to the airport to rent a car to get to Waco for a wedding. Then I was on my own.....with all 4 kids....for a little while. I took them all back to Ro's and was so blessed to have the help of her family. I got the kids in bed by 9:30. Again...happy Mommy! Caleb was so cute. He said, "Mommy, you are going to be lonely without Daddy so I will sleep with you." And he did.

Sunday morning I packed as much as I could while taking care of the kids and waiting for Stephen to return from Waco. We barely made it to return the car to the airport at 2 and then we took the kids for the snow cones we had been promising all week. Can you believe we didn't even have time for snow cones ? Craziness! We went to say good-bye to my dad and at 4:20, we were on the road for Aggieland. And by 4:30, Abby was saying she had to go to the bathroom. We thought she was kidding and would forget but she kept saying it so we stopped. Not only did she go potty, but she had a dry pull-up. And, just like Willie, we were on the road again. That is, until the "Don't make me pull this car over" lecture. Yep, we had to pull over. And by Hillsboro, Spencer was awake and hungry. We made it home at 9:20. Gone are the days of a straight 3 hour trip without stopping!

Home Sweet Messy and Chaotic Home.

No comments: