Faith, Family, Friends, Fellowship, Food, and Fun



Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Spencer Christian




We have been pretty busy around here with the addition of our precious new son.

On Thursday, May 6, I went in for my 36 week appointment and found out I was dilated to a 4 and 60% effaced. For me that meant the baby was on his way. I was excited until I found out that my doctor was not delivering that weekend. I have been through so much with this doctor, I did not want anyone but her to be a part of this special moment so I went home and put myself on bedrest. The doctor told me to come in first thing Monday morning.

On May 10, I went in and I had progressed just a little bit. I was amazed at what bedrest did. I had made it to 36 weeks and 5 days, a new record for me. I told my doctor (who I LOVE...have I said that?) that Lauren was going to have her first program on Thursday and I couldn't imagine missing it. I also had to consider the fact that my doctor was not on call that weekend either. She told me she could get things moving by stripping my membrane a little. And so she did.

When I got back to work maybe 15 minutes later, my eyes couldn't adjust. It was as if I had stared at the sun. As I stared at my computer, I realized I was seeing flashing circles. I remembered that this is a sign of preclampsia. I called my school nurse and she had me come down to check my blood pressure. It was elevated. I have never had elevated blood pressure before. The doctor's office said to go to the hospital so Stephen and the kids picked me up and took me right over. Then he took the kids to a neighbor's and came back. The doctor stopped by at 1 and said she hoped to deliver Spencer before her 5:00 C-Section.
She stopped by at 5, but I was not quite ready so she came back after her C-section. We started pushing at 6:36 and he was born at 6:44. He weighed 6 lbs. 5 oz. and was 19" long.
He was checked for a "grunting noise" which indicates fluid in the lungs, but it corrected itself. Amazingly we were discharged (with no indications of jaundice) before 48 hours...another record!
We thank God every day for our new gift.

No comments: